Friday, June 06, 2008

where my mind is...


this week i learned of the passing of an old family friend, dr. sheela basrur or just sheela (obituary is the previous entry)...she was a fixture in my grandparent's house on oak street in guelph when i was very little...i remember being the third wheel in the friendship of my aunt donna (whom some readers may recall died suddenly two years ago at the age of 49) and sheela...i was always in tow when those two went riding bikes, for walks in the field behind the house, when 'aunt denise' would suddenly make an 'appearance' from my grandparent's closet wearing my grandma's clothes, i was the victim who lost her heart and other body parts during mock operations on my granny's drafting table, i was also the unfortunate passenger who was often tossed to the floor during our pretend airplane games, dancing in the basement, roller-skating and so many other memories from what was the most happy time during my life...sheela taught me a 'fancy' way to colour and i suspect that 'fancy' way lead me to living la vida loca as an artist today...so many memories, such carefree happiness...the passing of sheela two years after the death of my aunt donna makes me wonder...i won't articulate that thought but i just wonder many things while looking this photo of sheela, donna and myself at the cottage near sauble beach...the year was around 1968...we were young, happy and looking forward to going swimming, eating chips and staying up late while granny made a bon fire...those were the days!...i really hope that sheela and donna are somewhere having a blast together!...

i miss and love you both so dearly...

No comments: