Thursday, December 07, 2006

life is strange that way...


last night i found out that a close family friend has a rare form of cancer...news of this has really put me in a bit of a funk, as she was the best friend of my aunt donna who died at the age of 49 a year ago this saturday...i somehow find it very strange that almost a year later sheela (aka dr. basrur) has cancer...she is currently at her parents' home recovering from the surgery which discovered this disease...the weird thing is, her dad was a cancer research doctor of some stature in his day and now he is faced with his daughter falling ill to something he dedicated part of his career trying to find a cure for...life is strange that way...

the photo is one that was taken during one summer at the cottage my grandfather rented located on lake huron...the summers spent on the lake are my most precious and often relived memories...my aunt is on the left, me in the middle and sheela on the right wearing the life jacket (her mum was a tad over-protective!)...it was during that summer that i remember sheela and i colouring during a rainy day...she taught me the finer points of 'blending colours with a crayon'...not sure why i recall this so distinctively but i even remember to object we were colouring in my book, a trumpet...she was amazing at staying in the lines...her daughter simone visited my studio last year and told me of her plans to be an artist when graduates high school...i guess her mum spent time colouring with her also!...

my thoughts are with sheela today and will be everyday...she rushed to the hospital the day my aunt died to lend her shoulder in support, i hope that i can provide the same support for her family in this time of uncertainty...

well, i'm going to try and take my mind off of things for a while and continue working...

No comments: